I think that only someone tapering for an Ironman really knows what its like to feel fat and out of shape after "only" doing a two hour ride.
I think that it was with wildly mixed emotions I watched the LM walk off to her 1st day of 6th grade at EHS.
I think I only need to think of the obstacles faced by my friends Justine (severely autistic son and parents with dementia), Julie (quad husband after a skiing accident), and Heather/Kevin (cancer, parents with dementia) to be reminded of how blessed I truly am in my life.
I think I could learn a lot from Justine, Julie and Heather/Kevin on how to handle adversity and unexpected demands with grace, selflessness, and humor.
I think Mia, the guard Shepherd, looks really silly with her droopy ear.
I think that I can never repay Heather and the Gerdemans for their friendship and support in making the trek to Louisville for the race next weekend.
I think the ability to be brutally, honestly introspective is the key to personal development and happiness.
I think it really takes very little effort to do or say something nice to someone.
I think that people who spend their lives wishing that things were different or resenting how they got to where they are instead of figuring out where to go from here make me sad, and sometimes angry.
I think my husband is the best thing that has happened to my children and me, and that LM choosing "meeting Matthew" as the event that changed her life (for a school assignment) says it all.
I think that the pre-race stress I feel before an IM is mostly self-inflicted, and that the hardest part of the weeks before the race is keeping life in perspective.
I think I wish I could sleep in like my husband and children.
I think we spent way too much time at Mayo last week, but that we are blessed with great health insurance.
I think I wish the BiM didn't need physical therapy, but that her seeing Libby is one of the best things that could happen thanks to Libby's great attitude and shared experiences.
I think that one of the biggest challenges as a parent is standing your ground when one child resorts to "she NEVER gets in trouble" or "you ALWAYS take her side".
I think that Matthew continuing to play ultimate frisbee on a torn miniscus and with a broken wrist shows just how tough, and stubborn, he really is.
I think that it is sad that my exhusband spends all his time blaming me instead of fixing the problems he has with the minis.
I think that false pride causes a lot of the problems in the world.
I think that the opportunities the minis have now are mind boggling, and that I smile every time I drive onto the EHS campus.
I think that this will be my last Ironman until the uncertainty with the minis' relationship with the biofather is worked out.
I think I strained a muscle in my back last Sunday racking bikes at the kids' triathlon and now it hurts to breath, which at least is taking my mind off of my knees.
I think that Sabre, the big black Shepherd, has the right attitude about life - even when his sister beats him up, he has forgotten about it :30 later and is back to chasing squirrels and squeaking his (terminally annoying) squeaky ball, all with a big grin on his face.
I think that some relationships, even with blood relatives, offer far too many negatives to warrant being pursued.
I think the little mini cracked me up the other day when, after seeing two lizards attempting to make baby lizards, she quipped "you'd think they'd at least go find a romantic tree or something instead of the sidewalk."
I think life is way too short to get sucked into drama all the time, and the people who thrive off of drama drain too much energy.
I think I didn't know what to say when they BiM decided the past tense of "wink" must be "wunk" because of things like "sink/sunk" and "think/thunk."
I think, as a parent, sometimes we have to take a deep breath and step back to get perspective, and that what's important is that we teach our kids to handle adversity with grace and an eye towards the long term goals.
I think that my family has a curse on left wrists.
I think that the crazy crows in the backyard get a little mouthy when we are too slow filling up the squirrel feeder with peanuts.
I think i find the greatest peace watching creatures in nature (including my children) go about their stuff unaware of being observed. Birds in a bird bath and minis walking with their friends at school being two prime examples.
I think adults who are afraid to discipline kids firmly but unwaveringly are not doing anyone any favors.
I think facebook creates waaaaaay to many opportunities for added drama for teens.
I think that the person on IAmTri who posted that she keeps the IM race in perspective by thinking about how lucky she is to have the time, equipment, health and support in her life to allow her to try such an adventure is a needed voice of equilibrium.
I think that people who post or blog negative things about their spouse should step back and consider how s/he would feel if the situation were reversed.
I think anyone who jokes about divorce when they have kids is a moron.
I think that a hug from my girls or Matthew makes everything good again.
I think that's it for now.



I love your thoughts but I have to say my favorite is -- think that a hug from my girls or Matthew makes everything good again. You have a great perspective on life. You are a beautiful woman inside and out. I love seeing the LM and BM growing as independent, intelligent, athletic and beautiful girls that you have inspired into that direction. I think Matthew is a perfect match for you. Oops, you got ME thinking now :) Great post Sara!! Kellie
ReplyDeleteI think that I agree with a lot of that and that I'm happy you and the girls are part of my life :)
ReplyDelete